People with HIV, who are currently incarcerated and are leaving jail
San Francisco, CA
Linkage, Re-engagement, and Retention
- Recruit staff who are familiar with HIV, STI, and viral hepatitis prevention activities and who are familiar with the specific needs of people being released from correctional settings.
- Use assessment and documentation tools to provide a structured program.
- Conduct enrollment and schedule two pre-release sessions within 2 months before a client’s release from a correctional setting.
- Schedule four post-release sessions. Hold the first session as soon as possible, ideally within 48 hours of release. The next three sessions should be spaced out over 3 months after release.
- Ensure the same staff member conducts both pre-release and post-release sessions with clients.
- Provide condoms at each post-release session.
- Actively maintain contact with clients, using individual-based outreach and program flexibility to determine the best time and place to meet with them.
The Project START intervention cost analysis is not currently available. However, you can use the CIE Cost Calculator to create an estimate of the cost of implementing the intervention at your organization.
Subscribe to receive alerts of when trainings become available.
No videos currently available